21 March 2010

on hospitality

"Hospitality is more than an expression of love for the guest. It is also and foremost an expression of love between the hosts." -H. Nouwen

Every once in a while, I'll come across a quote that strikes deep resonance because of its profundity and/or truth. This statement by Henri Nouwen is one of them. As I recall visits to various homes for different festivities throughout the years, the common denominator of folks whom I'd consider to be great hosts are those with loving, healthy families. More often than not the wife and husband have a wonderful relationship that subtly yet powerfully shapes the guests' experience.

Sadly, I don't know if I can the same for my family growing up. My parents loved hosting- there was always someone over for dinner- seminary students, church friends, co-workers...it helped that my mom's a fantastic cook. People often joke about making their homes look presentable by throwing everything in the closet. That was never the case in our home, all thanks to my mom's ultra cleanliness. What was often shoved away though, were more intangible. The fight from earlier that day. The harsh words exchanged while preparing for dinner. Hurt feelings and frustrations, all tucked away to be dealt with later.

This quote also totally applies to hospitality on a bigger scale- conference planning. Establishing trust and rapport within the planning team is crucial not only for a more pleasant, fun-filled process (bc God knows how much humor is necessary in meeting planning!), but also because it becomes evident on site. The trust and open communication within the team have significant influence on the atmosphere of the conference, and more often than not, those things get tested onsite.

As I continue to dream and figure out the kind of person I want to become, this is one of the things I pray for. Whether planning an intimate dinner for a few friends or preparing a place for God to meet thousands, I hope that the preparation process will be just as joy-filled and worshipful as the event itself. I pray that those meetings will be expressions of the love I share with my community on a day to day basis.