It just struck me that in a little over a week, I'll be driving 2,000 miles away from the place I've called home for the past 18 months. No more snow, concerts on the square, hanging out with visiting staff in July, farmers market on Saturday mornings, walks around the neighborhood on breezy summer nights, watching glee with C, sob fests with K, cheese curds, late nights frantically working on Urbana, trees splashed in red, orange and yellow in the fall...no more. At least, not for now.
Today I had my first "indefinitely last hangout" with a friend. We're both transitioning out of this season and moving to opposite sides of the country, and I'm not sure when will be the next time I'll get to see him again. We said our goodbyes with promises to keep in touch via Gchat, but sometimes I think we say that to make the separation a bit easier. Online communication tools are wonderful things, but it never replaces the physical presence of just being with people. You can't sit still and be silent with a friend electronically. I'm learning that even that simple activity is a luxury and a blessing during this highly transitory time in my life. I'm just getting to a point where I feel comfortable laughing, sharing life and being still with my community here, and it's already time to pack up to start anew. Don't get me wrong- I generally enjoy transitions and even thrive on new beginnings, but those things come with a cost. And tonight, that cost seems a lot more hefty than I had previously thought.
1 comment:
mmm yeah. I'm probably gonna copy and paste this post in about 2 months...
Post a Comment