05 October 2008

trip to st. louis

On Thursday a couple of guys on Urbana Operations Team and I drove down to St. Louis to "research" Edward Jones Dome at the America's Center and check out the Joyce Meyer Conference (JM) that took place in the same venue. It was my first business trip, and as you can imagine, I was pretty excited. When we arrived they were setting up and doing sound checks for the first session.
Since Urbana is a pretty big event, they have an events manager in charge of the IV/Urbana account who handles all the convention side of the conference. She was also working on the JM Conference that weekend, but was gracious enough to be our "tour guide" for a few hours. One of the most helpful part of the trip was going back of the house (i.e., the Dome) to check out how the JM Conference people distributed the space for green rooms. I'm still figuring out what my job description exactly entails (I have a feeling that I'm going to be in this position for a while), but I think one of them might be allocating the space for speaker, worship and arts teams green rooms, prayer rooms, etc. The walk-through of the back of the house was relatively short, and while I wish I could've stayed there longer, we didn't want to intrude too much on the people preparing for the JM Conference.
All-access tour :)
I think this was the visiting team's locker room (the Rams play here)
The sign on one of the green rooms. No, I did not meet Darlene. But more about that later.
The JM Conference planners decided to use only half of the Dome, which sits about 25,000 people.
The other half of the Dome
I'm always amazed to see how much work goes into putting on a conference like this. The lighting, sound, projections, stage set up, wiring...not to mention the logistics that go along with it. I love it!
Backstage
The JM Conference is for women only, so the sign below was supposed to remedy the inevitably long girl's restroom lines. I guess someone forgot the side panels...or maybe it was intentional.
I think the JM Conference people were expecting somewhere around 20,000 that weekend. The first night probably had about 18,000 attendees.
The stage design was quite fitting for a women's conference.
I have never been a huge fan of Hillsong, but after this conference I have to say that they are great at what they do. It's always a blessing to see worship teams worshipping while they lead worship.
This was the closest I got to Darlene.
Which (sort of) leads me to the topic of worship at Urbana. One of the questions that popped up in the car on our way to St. Louis was why we don't invite famous worship leaders like Darlene to Urbana. It was a question that stayed with me throughout the conference, though I didn't expect to come to my own conclusions at the end.

I fully admit that I got a bit starstruck at the conference. Granted, Darlene & Co. aren't the Jonas Brothers, but heck, they're Hillsong! So after the end of the second plenary session I went to a signing by another well-known worship leader, and asked him, "Why did you decide to lead worship here at Joyce Meyer Conference?" His answer was, "I was asked to." I guess I looked confused, so he explained that his agent booked him and that's why he was here.

After letting it sit for a couple days, his response makes perfect sense. It's the most logical answer. But I guess I was hoping for something more...that he came because he wants to affirm and worship alongside women who are being healed and empowered, etc. Maybe it's a bit naive, but I believed that worship leaders participated in conferences because they believed in the vision of the gatherings. I'm sure (or I sure hope) that this isn't the case for all worship leaders in all cases, but I didn't realize that sometimes the answer is as simple as a booking and a paycheck.

This is where I think the vision of Urbana calls for something more than a one-time booking with a famous worship leader. Even though I've been on the job for only a few weeks, one of the things that has really stood out is how every component of the program is prayed for and planned in a way that reflects its vision and mission. Over the next 14 months the Urbana worship team will not only be rehearsing, bonding, and performing at various conferences, but they will play an integral part of creating a gathering place that is "an eye-opening, life-transforming, commitment-producing call to join God's Mission" (Jim Tebbe, Director of Missions). I don't think this is a role that we can contract out to a famous worship leader; not because they won't buy into what we stand for, but because the kind of commitment that is required most likely isn't possible with those who also have concert tours and such.

With that said, I was incredibly blessed during the worship at Urbana06, and I know that the team we have for 09 is also an extremely talented and anointed bunch. I am so excited to work alongside them. :) I would also like to mention that the thoughts above are 100% mine. IV might have an entirely different set of reasons on why we don't ask David Crowder to come lead worship at Urbana. Finally, I don't want the leave the impression that I think all worship leaders that only do what their agent tells them to do suck. I think that there are conferences and events where inviting well-known worship leaders is appropriate and (hopefully) worshipful. But I realize now that it's not the best option for all Christian conferences.

So that's my first business trip in a nutshell. More than anything, seeing this
got me super pumped for all the possibilities that could happen 14 months from now.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

so you going to hook me up with a backstage pass then?

jenchiu said...

Being a professional worship leader is definitely hard work (not just physically, but emotionally/mentally). You are on call all the time to somehow find compassion and spiritual connection with everyone's individual vision for each conference/church/event you play at. Not as glamorous as it seems on the outside for sure. On top of that, there are a jazillion Christian events and hopes for revival all the time. Nearly impossible not to get jaded.

Anyhow, you definitely have the right to be starstruck. You are getting some crazy experiences, young lady!